1/25/2015 7:11:06 AM
3 Year Bible Reading: Joshua 15
Our Three Year Bible reading for today is Joshua 15.
Chapter 15 gives us more information on the division of the Promised Land, which God had won for Israel
Perhaps you’ve noticed that the last few chapters have included lots of names: people and places you’ve never heard of before
- Perhaps our eyes glaze over a little bit when we see all those names, one after another
Yet there is something amazing being built by the names of all these cities and locations
- A fulfilled promise is constructed out of names like En Shemesh and Mount Ephron, a promise made to Abraham out under a night sky, a promise repeated to Isaac and Jacob
- Israel was receiving the fulfillment of a promise made hundreds of years ago, a promise that seemed a little unbelievable at the time, a promise that seemed unbelievable when Israel was stuck in the chains of Egyptian slavery, a promise that seemed far, far away as Israel wandered through the desert of their punishment
When we see these sections through that light, we begin to understand how astounding it must have been for these Israelites to listen as their tribes received a place of their own in Canaan
- God had kept His promise!
- Perhaps you’ve noticed that the last few chapters have included lots of names: people and places you’ve never heard of before
We see in verses 13-16 the answer to Caleb’s request in chapter 14: he was given the land around the Anakites and successfully drove them away at the age of 85
- We also note the appearance of Othniel, who later served Israel as a judge in Judges 3:7-11
What does it lead me to confess?
Keep Reading >>